Thursday, August 16, 2007

Submission preparation info

I had this great question from a commenter:
...On the submission page it says to save our work as a high quality jpeg no larger than 100K. How do you do that? I create all my 12x12 scrapbook pages at 300 dpi. Even after I have flattened my image when I save a jpeg I still have to take the quality all the way down to zero & it's still not 100K. So I guess my question is, do you want a 300 dpi image or is less acceptable? I am a graphic designer but how to make my files 100K w/o saving them at 72 or 100 dpi AND at low quality is beyond me. Could you all shed a little more light on exactly how you want the submission files saved?...
For our submissions review process, we only need low-resolution (72dpi) versions of your layouts. We review them on-screen, so this resolution provides us with plenty of detail. We also don't need the layouts submitted full-size. Submitting a 12x12 original layout as a 6x6 lo-res version works fine for us.

Depending on your photo editing software (I know Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have this feature), you may also have a "Save for Web" command that does a great job of optimizing your image, or making it as small as possible while still maintaining image quality. You should be able to save a 72dpi 6x6 image at 60% or better quality and still get it in under the 100K limit.

If your submission is chosen for publication, we'll ask you to send us a hi-res (but still scaled-down... 8x8 for a 12x12 layout) version of your project.

Don't forget--we also love to see projects such as cards, albums, home decor items or anything else you've used your digital scrapbooking skills to create. For these items, you can submit a clear photograph, sized at approximately 5x7" and saved at 72dpi. If we select a 3-D project from you for publication, we'll ask you to send in your original project for photography. (We'll take extra-special care of it and make sure it returns to you safely as soon as possible.)

Thanks for your question, Anonymous Commenter--we hope to see work from you soon!

3 comments:

Michelle Filo said...

oh, I feel so silly! I forgot to check the size of my pages before submitting and now I noticed they are mostly over 100kb... please pleas please forgive me! It will not happen again :)
Thanks for all the info here!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, finally, some guidance on submissions! I was so stumped! Expect some layouts from me very soon. :)

teddyprayer said...

What's the guidelines for submitting layouts that are already posted in an on-line gallery? is this okay or is this a no-no?